Carole is a knitting and sewing project. It’s made of a top, knitted in red and ecru lace weight 100% gassed mercerized cotton, and a pair of trousers, in ecru tropical weight wool fabric.
The project is named after the screwball comedies’ diva Carole Lombard, an actress who well embodies my source of inspiration: the 1930’s modern woman (at least as it was shown in Hollywood’s publicity shots that much influenced women those times), sporty and fashionable, at ease in formal occasions as much as on a tennis court.
The top is a sort of my Bette sweater’s (HERE) variation, showing a loose-fitting bodice and a tight-fitting waistline emphasized with a belt. This time the neckline is V-shaped and finished with ribbed band edges I knitted separately (using a double strand of yarn) and then joined to the bodice with a backstitch seam. Dropped shoulders, also finished with ribbed band edges knitted separately and then sewn, give the impression of short sleeves. The top is knitted playing with two different yarn’s colours: red round the waistline and ecru for the rest of the bodice. An easy colorwork motif joins the two colours.
I used a little trick assembling the top. Though the 1k/1p ribbed stitch makes the edges quite elastic (despite the cotton yarn), I’ve sewn top-down on the side seam an invisible zipper to make easier to wear it. This way the top’s waistline won’t lose its shape.
The trousers are high-waisted, with side pockets and no pleats. I drafted the pattern and made a test garment before cutting the ecru tropical weight wool. I reinforced outside leg and crotch seams with double top stitches (that makes clothes live longer).
A red plastic buckle (who lived for a long time in my home haberdashery) provided inspiration for a double belt. The first, made using the ecru tropical weight wool reinforced with light iron-on interfacing, has being conceived to complete the Carole top. The second one, made in red grosgrain ribbon, has been made to be used with the trousers. They are interchangeable thanks to studs.
Both top and trousers have been made using patterns I drafted using my body’s measurements, not standard sizes. Nonetheless, reference sizes could be size XS for the top and size S for trousers.
Here is the list of materials and stitches I used. :
- 50 gr of red lace weight 100% gassed mercerized cotton;
- 67 gr of ecru lace weight 100% gassed mercerized cotton;
- Straight needles 2 mm;
- 1 red invisible zipper;
- Yarn needle.
- Tissue paper, ruler and set square (to draft the pattern);
- Tape measure, tailor’s shears, pins, needles, 100% cotton 50wt sewing thread (ecru) and a sewing machine(!);
- 1,20 m ecru tropical weight wool cloth;
- 1 button;
- 20 cm ecru zipper.
- Ecru tropical weight wool;
- Light weight iron-on interfacing;
- Red grosgrain ribbon;
- Plastic red buckle.
Stitches (Carole top):
- Playing with colour (watch chart) – single strand;
- Stockinette stitch – single strand;
- 1k/1p ribs (edges) – double strand;
- Tubular cast-on and bind-off.
More photos soon…
Related articles from the blog: Change of season; Playing with colours: a summer preview; Carole: playing with colour; Carole: the stitch’s chart; Carole: knitting and sewing vintage style; Carole: just a little trick; Carole: multiplying belts.